Expectations for those riding the school bus:
For most Pike students, the school day begins and ends on the school bus, which makes transportation a very important part of the total education process. Because transportation is such an important segment of education; cooperation among students, parents, bus drivers, teachers and administrators is very important. When students make poor behavior choices on our school buses, the consequences can have a greater impact than when the misbehavior occurs in the classroom. The most important reason for having a bus discipline system is the safety of our students. It is an expectation that all students will follow all bus rules and display appropriate behavior on all Pike school buses. Should you have any questions or concerns please contact your child’s school administrators.
These rules apply anytime a student rides the bus:
- The student shall be waiting at the designated boarding place when the bus arrives.
- Students may only ride the bus to which they are assigned and must board/dismiss at their designated bus stop.
- Permission to ride a different bus shall be granted if space is available and the student brings to the principal (or his/her designee) a signed request from the parent or legal guardian. A standard office bus pass is given to the driver once the principal (or his/her designee) has granted permission.
- Whenever boarding the bus, a student shall be seated immediately as designated or assigned by the bus driver and shall remain seated until the bus reaches its destination.
- Windows shall be opened and closed only with the permission of the driver.
- Consumption of food/beverages is not permitted on the bus.
Bus Violations & Consequences
The following violations will not be tolerated on the bus:
- Disruptive behavior
- Failure to follow directions (insubordination)
- Inappropriate language
- Physical Aggression
- Any behavior that jeopardizes the safety of others on the bus
The range of consequences for the above violations shall be:
|1st Offense||2nd Offense||3rd Offense|
|Elementary||Parent phone call &/or parent conference &/or suspension with district notification letter.||Parent conference &/or 1 to 5 day bus suspension with district notification letter.||1 to 10 day bus suspension with district notification letter. Bus behavior contract developed by Elementary building administrator and signed by parent to resume services. Violations beyond the 3rd offense may result in consequences ranging from a 5 day bus suspension to a remainder of the year bus suspension.|
|Middle/High School||Parent phone call &/or parent conference &/or suspension with district notification letter.||5 to 10 day bus suspension with district notification letter.||One semester or remainder of year bus suspension.|
*Discretion is up to the building administrator (or designee) who will determine the consequence that is appropriate for each specific incident.